Sunday 9 December 2012

Roast in a Stack with a Red Onion, Tomato and Caper Dressing


So this week we had a lovely breakfast at a local little Italian place called Piccolo Diavolo. In fact it's about 30 seconds from our house and it's run by a charming man from Roma. After our breakfast we had a long walk along the old railway line up to Highgate from Crouch Hill.  It was freezing and I misjudged the route so it took about three hours to get to Muswell Hill. In the woods we saw some really cute young children having a history lesson on a log by an ex teacher dressed up as some sort of old King. We were lost but it was entertaining to bump into such a rabble. We also walked past so many beautiful houses. How depressing that you probably have to be a billionaire in order to ever own one. What do you have to do these days? I ended up peering through the windows at their oh so wonderful kitchens. One day....

So we got back and embarked upon the roast. I am using the bits I bought in Essex last week and have decided (with the help of Billy) to do a roast in a stack with a tangy sauce.

Using my new potato ring things I pile up my stack: starting with potatoes, then a mushroom and chestnut stuffing and topped by green cabbage. I then make a sweet potato puree and a drizzle sauce. In the sauce I put butter, olive oil, red onions, capers, tomatoes, parsley and lemon juice. I warmed up the butter and oil first in a pan, and added the ingredients gradually with some seasoning, leaving  a rich and tangy (quite acidic) sauce, which I think went really well with the sweetness of the puree.

My Recipe (for a hungry twosome)

Roast:
Bottom layer:
2 potatoes, part boiled in stock. Sliced thinly

Middle Layer: Stuffing:
mushrooms
chestnuts
garlic
1 egg
1 handful of breadcrumbs
herbs of choice

Top Layer:
Cabbage cooked with butter and nutmeg and a pinch of salt and pepper.

Sweet Potato Puree:
1 sweet potato, cooked in stock and pureed with a knob of butter. Yummy. 

Sauce:
butter
olive oil
2 red onions
2 cloves of garlic
massive handful of parsley
1 lemon- zest and juice
1 tomato chopped very finely and added when you've fried off the onions and garlic
2 tablespoons of capers
salt and pepper

Yay!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Write me a message