Sunday 16 December 2012

Chick Pea Cutlets on Pea and Mint Puree with a Tangy Cucumber Raita


OK so this week isn't technically a roast but I will at least have a few roasted new potatoes and I am roasting the cutlets. Also, Christmas is around the corner and I think we're all going to be eating roasts galore. I know my Mum and I always go over the top with our Christmas day meal often resulting in kitchen chaos. So, I decided to make something a bit different this week and I love fallafel. This dinner is inspired by the lovely Lebanese place I often go to when at work. 

I work as a Production Buyer in Film and on TV shows so I cheekily borrowed some lovely plates from one of the prop houses. The plates have a floral pattern in red around the outside so I decided I wanted to cook something bright green to contrast it, hence the decision to do pea and mint puree. 

To make the cutlets, I blend a tin of chick peas, add a squeeze of lemon juice, a glug of olive oil, lots of fresh parsley, 3 chopped spring onions, bread crumbs and an egg to bind. I then add the spices: cumin, salt, pepper, crushed chillis (crushed in my everso indulgent Allessi Chilli crusher given to me as a gift) and some Italian mixed spices. I'm leaving this mixture to develop in flavour for a bit before I cook them. I'm cooking quite early tonight as I want to watch Strictly.

The pea and mint puree is easy. I bought some frozen peas to the boil with a garlic clove and a left over bit of onion. I added a little bit of vegetable bouillon and a big handful of fresh mint. Once cooked, I strain off most of the water and then blend. Easy!

For my raita, I have decided to grate the cucumbers after taking off the skin. I added half a garlic clove (finely chopped), one spring onion, a little mint, a squeeze of lemon juice and two tablespoons of Greek yoghurt. Season with salt. That's it. Again I've made this early so that the flavours can develop until we eat later.

Finally, shape the cutlets into whatever shape you fancy. Bake for half an hour  to 40 minutes on an oiled tray at 180 degrees. I have also put in some mini new potatoes, which I've part boiled. 

When I plate up I'm going to serve the cutlets on the pea and mint puree with a dollop of raita on the top as well as some fresh tomatoes. Cannot wait to eat!

My Recipe (serves two to three people, greedy ones)

Chick pea Cutlets:
1 tin of chickpeas
1 lemon
1 pack of fresh flat leaf parsley
4 spring onions
1 clove of garlic
1 handful of dried breadcrumbs ( I had some left over from the nut roast week. Waitrose)
1 egg
seasoning ( as above)
one tomato to garnish if you are trying to be a bit of a fancy ponce like me ;)

Raita:
half a cucumber
a little bunch of mint
half a clove of garlic
juice of half a lemon
salt

Pea and mint puree:
200g peas (roughly)
one garlic clove
a large bunch of mint
stock


No comments:

Post a Comment

Write me a message