Sunday 30 December 2012

Christmas Nut Roast and a lovely Mushroom and Tarragon Pate






















So I'm being a bit lazy tonight. Been rushing around the country seeing family which has been so lovely. But I DO NOT feel like cooking tonight. Especially as tomorrow for New Year's, Nel and I are cooking a lavish meal. I'll write about that instead I think this week. However, we did have a great veggie Christmas ( as well as the Turkey crown). As I said on Christmas Day, I made a mushroom and tarragon pate. I based it on a really nice recipe I found on BBC Food but added a few extras like white wine and lemon zest. It was delish actually. And Mum and I made an Onion, Fig, Tomato and Pineapple Chutney. See recipe below.

For the Nut Roast, I roasted a butternut squash with garlic, olive oil and paprika. Once roasted I mixed this in a bowl with bread crumbs, crushed nuts, chopped chestnuts, spinach (I used frozen spinach), feta, orange zest and 2 eggs. We made this mix on Christmas Eve and kept it in the fridge overnight and on Christmas day baked it for about 40 minutes on 180 degrees. I was perhaps a little generous on the orange zest so maybe you should only put in a little for a Christmassy twist. But all in all, we all had a very jolly gastrotastic Christmas Dinner. I haven't stopped eating since Christmas but yet I am off now to have Steak and Chips at the local pub. A bit bad but back to the veggie roasts on Sunday in the New Year as well as hitting the gym. Honest :). Next Sunday will be A-May-Zing!!

My Recipes: serves about 6

Chutney:
2 Red Onions, fried in butter and olive oil
Chinese Five Spice
Celery Salt to season the onions
1 teaspoon of sugar, salt and pepper to season
glug of balsamic vinegar
1 handful of cherry tomatoes
half a pineapple cut very finely
Let it all simmer slowly for about an hour.

Nut Roast:

Half a bag of Waitrose fresh breadcrumbs
1 butternut Squash:
chopped and roasted for 45 minutes with 2 garlic cloves, olive oil and seasoning.
1 feta cheese
half a bag of mixed chopped nuts
About 10 precooked and peeled Chestnuts
Spinach: 
I used about half a bag of pre-cooked spinach but use what you think. I'd say 1 bag if fresh.
orange zest to your taste
Fresh herbs such as marjoram or thyme
2 eggs
salt and pepper to taste

Put in an oiled roasting tin and bake at 180 degrees for about 45 minutes. 




1 comment:

  1. Loved the Xmas Nutroast, Chef MItchell you are gorge-wah x

    ReplyDelete

Write me a message