Sunday 6 January 2013

Caramelised Onion and Goats Cheese Tart Trio


For New Years we went to Nel's house. The plan was to make this tart as a starter and build up to the main course. In reality, we spent a lot of time chatting and eating our starter and cheese board before even beginning the main. We didn't eat until about 1am but we did have some marvellous glitter tattoos, courtesy of Billy, and catch up with friends we'd not seen in a while. 

Due to the amount of booze that was consumed throughout the evening, I am finding it difficult to remember exactly what we did but I think it was something like this! For our tart, Nel and I used ready made puff pastry which we placed on an oiled board.  We scored around the edges and then lightly scored it into thirds. The base for each third was caramelised onions, which I cooked on the hob beforehand, and goats cheese. I fried red onions in butter and olive oil with some herbs, I added a teaspoon of sugar and later on a dash of balsamic. Nothing fancy. For each third of the tart, we did a base layer of the onions. In one section we topped it with grapes and goats cheese. For the middle section we fried some mushrooms in garlic an parsley. Once cooled, they were placed on the onions and we drizzled some truffle oil and put some fresh parsley and topped with the cheese. For the third section we cut up some fresh tomatoes, seasoned with salt and pepper and then added the cheese.

Bake for around 20 minutes on 180 degrees and you can cut as you wish.

I won't dwell on the main course as I can't really remember cooking or eating it but I'm sure I enjoyed it at the time!

The day afterwards was spent watching an entire series of the Great British Bake off which was so inspiring. Think I'll make a New Year's resolution to bake more!! Maybe next time I'll make my own pastry.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Write me a message