Sunday 17 February 2013

Roasted Artichokes in Butter, Garlic and Mustard Vinigrette


We've just spent the afternoon in Highgate Cemetery looking around the old graves and had a really interesting guided tour before the sun set over the ivy ridden headstones. I've never been before to Highgate Cemetery, but I've always meant to after studying a little about it and knowing that Lizzie Siddal, the muse of the Pre-Raphaelites, is buried there. I didn't find her grave today though. The whole experience was strangely romantic and I felt I learnt a fair bit too. Beats Come Dine with Me on the Sofa for sure!

Anyway, back to our roast. It's been a busy week this week.  Finished on one job last night and start a new one tomorrow. And,  as I've been a bit under the weather I'm going to make something quick and easy tonight. I'll be making roasted artichokes which I'll serve with a napkin to clean our hands (as it will be messy), and a cheese board. Perfect Sunday comfort.

For two people:

3 medium/ small artichokes
1 clove of garlic
Several glugs of olive oil
mustard
Juice of 1 Lemon
Knob or two of butter
Salt and pepper to Season


First Cut the Artichokes in half and scoop out the hair if necessary. Use a spoon for this. My artichokes were small and so there was no hair in the middle. Bonus.


Then boil them for 6 minutes with one crushed garlic clove, drain and place in a baking dish faced down.


Meanwhile, make a simple vinaigrette from the mustard, olive oil and lemon ( see notes below) and pour over the artichokes, as well as putting on the butter. Save some vinaigrette for serving so you can dip the leaves into it. Yummy.

Bake for 30 minutes on 180 degrees


Serve with a nice cheese board and some slices of fresh lemon. Off now to gorge and watch a film :)

Notes for the vinaigrette:

Start with a tablespoon of Dijon Mustard and keep adding small glugs of olive oil until the mixture thickens. Then squeeze in the juice of your lemon until it's vinaigrette consistency. Season with salt and pepper.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Write me a message