Sunday 11 November 2012

Spinach and Pumpkin tartlets with Cream Cheese and Pine Nuts



There's a great new organic food shop which has opened up on Stroud Green Road just around the corner and I got completely carried away with the colours of the vegetables. I bought a pumpkin, as it's the Halloween season, carrots, spinach, beetroot, parsnips and potatoes. 





For the tarts, I used ready made puff pastry which I cut into little (actually quite big)  squares and scored around the edge. I piled  my ingredients on top, starting with the cream cheese and ending with toasted pine nuts.

I made an onion gravy: I fried onions, garlic and some herbs in a pan. A little sprinkle of sugar and a dash of white wine were added. Then some Marmite. Trust me you cannot hate Marmite in a gravy- even if you're a Marmite hater!! Its delicious.

My Recipe for the tartlet 
(serves two again this week even though there was enough food for four):

1 Sheet of Ready made puff pastry
1 packet of spinach- cooked with some butter, nutmeg and salt
1 tub of cream cheese- spead a dollop onto each tart's base
1 pack of pine nuts- toast them lightly in a pan
1 pumpkin- cut into chunks and roasted in the oven with olive oil, garlic and seasoning

If I were to cook this again, I'd probably not include everything. The tart would be nice just with the spinach, pine nuts and cream cheese actually. I think with all of the root vegetables I bought, it did turn into a bit of a carb fest but it was still tasty. Maybe swapping some of the root veggies for some greens like kale or cabbage would be nice as well as a bit lighter.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Write me a message