Sunday 4 November 2012

Mushroom, Chestnut, Barley and Sage Crumble

I've always loved cooking and take real joy in creating all sorts of dishes for friends and family. Cooking to me is a way of life and always has to be shared to be fully enjoyed, and of course it has to be with a glass of wine or two.

I love a good old traditional meat roast, but living with Billy, I take pleasure in coming up with new ideas and tastes as a meat alternative, or as an addition to any meal. I hope you'll join me in my cooking fun and piggery each Sunday. Suggestions are most welcome.






























My Recipe (serves a rather greedy two this week):

1 onion
2 cloves garlic
2 field mushrooms
8 fresh chestnuts
1 big handful of fresh sage
1 lemon- zest and juice- to be split between the crumble and gravy
1 vegetarian stock cube
white wine- a glug or two for the main and gravy plus a glass to drink while you cook
salt and pepper to season

For the crumble topping:
1 fresh slice of brown bread
1 good chunk of cheese, grated. I used Vegetarian Pasta Cheese today
salt and pepper to season

I used a basic Delia recipe for the Yorkshires (minus the beef dripping of course and olive oil instead).

Week One: The crumble. 
This week I'm just cooking for Billy and myself. Helping sizes are pretty generous ;)
To start I roasted and peeled my Chestnuts for around 30-40 minutes. Then in a frying pan I fried onions and garlic, added the mushrooms, then the sage and barley. I put in a good glug of white wine and stock and let it all simmer for about 20 minutes.


I added the chestnuts to the mix and assembled my crumbles in little baking dishes. The crumble topping is so easy. Just grate a slice of brown bread, add grated cheese, salt and pepper. I also sneakily added some goats cheese into the topping which is not necessary. Just experimentation and indulgence. I baked the crumbles for half an hour.

For my gravy I gently fried a shallot with garlic, added another glug of white wine and seasoned, added zest of a lemon, a teaspoon of sugar and then stock and sage. I whizzed it all up in a hand blender and thickened with flour and let bubble away to reduce slightly.

Finally a bit of jiggling around in the oven was in order to cook the yorkshires. I steamed some greens and we were ready to eat...



The verdict? I think my gravy was perhaps slightly bitter- maybe I was a bit too generous with the sage and lemon. But all in all I'm pleased with this one. Very full right now after second helpings of yorkshire pudding dipped in gravy. I think the crumbles worked really well. Mushrooms, chestnuts and sage are great together- especially now there's a bit of a chill in the air. It only took an hour and a half in total which is pretty good for me. This meal has really got me into the winter mood :) and Billy's potatoes rocked. Try it!!

2 comments:

  1. Looks Brilliant !
    What did Billy think of it then ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He liked it! As usual we ate far too much but it was tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Write me a message