Sunday 25 November 2012

Leek, Mushroom and Pistachio Nut Roast with Kale, Roasted Carrots and Potatoes

I'm always running so late. I went out to get some veg for the roast and ended up shopping for Christmas presents. And, the house is still such as tip as it hits 6.30 and Andrea and Ameer arrive. Great. Not even started the cooking yet. 

This week is a nut roast with pistachios, leeks and mushrooms. So, amongst the chaotic kitchen I lay pout far too many nibbles (to keep us going for a long time before we eat dinner) and crack open the rioja. Asda were doing a deal on Campo Viejo which is our favourite. It was £5 instead of the usual £8 so during the week we got a delivery of twelve bottles. That could be dangerous!

For the nut roast, I got Billy to deshell the bag of pistachios. Meanwhile I fried some leeks in butter with a little lemon juice, white wine and seasoning. In another pan I fried mushrooms with garlic and oregano. Then in a mixing bowl I put all of the ingredients together:  the nuts, leeks, mushrooms, a good helping of feta, bread crumbs, 2 eggs and seasoning. I then put this mixture into a greased baking tin and baked in the oven (180 degrees) for about 40 minutes. I took it out just before the potatoes to rest.



From the veg shop I got some gigantic chard leaves.  I couldn't resist. So, we had our nut roast with potatoes, carrots and chard. 

What a lovely evening catching up with friends. And empty plates are always a good sign!! Again I somehow managed to use up almost every pan in the kitchen. I think I'm going to have to leave that to my chief washer-upper. 

My Recipe for the Nut Roast

100g pistachios
3 leeks
3 field mushrooms
75g (roughly) of bread crumbs. I lazily bought some from Waitrose
Feta cheese. One third of a packet
2 large eggs
Fresh Oregano
Salt and peper


2 comments:

  1. Hi Kay,
    Nice to hear that you have moved in with Andrea and Ameer. I'm looking forward to trying my first nut roast for our first Cournish Christmas. I need to somehow substitute the egg and the fetta as we are Vegan and no wine if Heidi is going to be joining us. A challange to make it hold together. Maybe I could make it in portion sizes vessles then it doesn't matter so much if it doesn't hold together so well. Any ideas on that?

    Are you vegetarian or is it just Billy?

    I hope you are well.
    Take care and happy cooking today.
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Jo,

      Yes it's lovely having moved in with A and A. How cool you'll be down in Cornwall for Christmas! It is just Billy who is vegetarian but i'm finding that I eat hardly any meat now too. For this Nut Roast, I would suggest substituting the eggs and feta with a very firm tofu (Couldren do one in a small carton and you can definitely buy from Tesco and Sainsbury's) which you should drain and dry on a kitchen cloth so that there is no moisture left, before adding to the mix. This will definitely bind the whole lot together. I'd also make sure you do add lots of nice fresh herbs to add more flavour. If it's going to be a Christmas Nut roast you could also add some nice chestnuts (buy ready roast in a packet or can) and again I think this will help bind it all together. I might even try this Vegan version in the coming weeks myself and see how it works out and I'll let you know. Otherwise let me know how it goes.

      Kay x

      Delete

Write me a message