Tuesday 23 July 2013

Kay the caterer...?


So, following the success of the wedding catering on Saturday, I've decided to open my own Deli in Hampstead. Only joking!!! In fact, after Saturday's events, I think it'll be a little while before I cook again.

To put this into context, and following on from my post from last week, I was asked to help cater for a wedding last Saturday with my friend Charlotte. I was in charge of the Vegan and Vegetarian main course, so I did my Stuffed Mushroom dish.

I thought I was well prepared. I bought a nice Veggie/ Vegan wine especially from my local health food shop (Haelan Centre in Crouch End) to put in my mushroom filling.

 And, I prepared the stuffing for the mushrooms the day before.

We drove down to Brighton first thing, and eventually got into the poky kitchen. After making our plan of action, I  helped Charlotte with the starters and other mains and then prepared my mushrooms.  

Not having had any experience of catering before, nothing could have prepared us for how hard we were going to work all afternoon. Having said that, WE DID IT!!! And, everyone seemed to be very encouraging and complimentary of our food. We left, feeling sweaty and tired around 10pm and got back to London around 11pm. 

I got home just after midnight, where Billy (thank you, thank you, thank you!!!) had ordered a very much needed curry and put out the wine.

What I've taken away from this experience is that there is no shame in preparing as much as humanly possible beforehand. In addition, you need to get things in the oven much sooner than you think or would do at home. Also, you must get a washer upper! But it was a great experience and learning curve. Despite how tough it felt, I had fun. Thanks Charlotte! Here's to the start of your (and potentially our) catering career.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Write me a message